Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Three Armadillies Tuff

The Three Armadillies Tuff was written by Jackie Mims Hopkins and illustrated by S.G Brooks.  It was published by Peachtree in 2002.


After reading this book, it took a few days for me to write about it.  I have rarely chosen a book that I don't care for, but, I have to put this one on that list.

I originally picked up The Three Armadillies Tuff because I thought it was going to be a cute twist on The Three Billy Goats Gruff.  It is another version of the story, where the three armadillies need to travel through a city to get to the dance club.  As they scritch, scratch, scritch, scratch their way through the pipe, they come across a hungry coyote.   He tells her that she will be his armadillo stew, but she convinces him to wait for her older, bigger sister.  When the second sister comes through, he tells her that she will be his stew and hit boots.  Again, she convinces him to wait for her older, much bigger sister.  When the third sister comes through, he tells her that she will be his stew, boots and handbag.  The last sister convinces the coyote that she needs a make over and a night out with the girls, so they all leave the drain pipe and go out dancing at the club.

 It is obvious that this book is set in the south, as the armadillies have a southern twang when they speak.  "Let's go to that new dance hall on the other side of the highway," suggested Lilly. I have a hankerin' to learn some new steps and kick up my claws" is one example of their southern twang.  Also, ""Go on, then," they coyote barked finally. "Git!"

They way that it was written gave a cue for the expression that should be used when reading aloud, and it was fun to try out a southern accent. 

Most of the illustrations in the book are framed, with parts of the armadillos sometimes coming out of the frame.  It appears that the author wanted them to look as if they were larger than what the frame could hold (they had very big personalities).  I didn't find anything about the illustrations to be spectacular.  Most of the pages had pictures of the armadillies working their way through the drain pipe.  I didn't notice the use of lines within the illustrations.  The colors are typical to a city night, with the animals a realistic color.  They are all drawn with exaggerated features and somewhat human, as they wear lipstick and wear shoes and handbags. 

I feel like when I do not like the book, it may be because it doesn't evoke any emotion from me.  I didn't enjoy the purple background on the pages and  I didn't enjoy the way the characters acted. I would not recommend this book, but would love to hear your thoughts on it if you have read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment